We loved these ten tips from MR Magazine for big guys – they fit really well with our mission to dress everyone just a little better than they have to! Check out these ideas, and drop by Butch Blum – we’ll show you our favorite looks this season and the perfect fit.
10. Ignore the size on the label – Buy the size that fits! Remember that size and stature are often associated with leadership and power. Be proud of who you are!
9. Ignore the old taboos – Yes, big guys can wear bold-colored sport coats and horizontal stripes. (Just wear them with confidence). Must your belt match your shoes, your socks match your pants? It’s always appropriate, but no longer mandatory – wear colors you love and feel good in.
8. Have fun with accessories – Fashionable eyewear, pocket squares, a great leather bag, contrasting shoelaces – details make a difference.
7. Flat front pants – Flat front pants are typically more flattering than pleats. (Sidenote – if you only wear pleated pants because off-the-rack pants feel tight in your thighs or seat, we can solve this – Made-to-Measure ensures you have just enough fabric to be comfortable without looking baggy).
6. Get the right belt – Don’t wear a dark leather dress belt with light colored khakis – try a fun color or a coordinating lighter shade. (A dark belt can draw a thick line across your widest point – not a flattering look!)
5. Color Coordinated – A flattering look: a knit vest or v-neck in the same color as your pants. (Try a subtly lighter shade…this looks excellent layered under a jacket).
4. Custom clothing- There’s nothing better than Made-To-Measure dress suits, trousers, and shirts: treat yourself! (You’ll be surprised…it’s not a big up charge from off-the-rack but you’ll love the fit).
3. Buy quality – In fashion, as in life, you usually get what you pay for. Buy quality clothes.
2. Tailoring is so important – Find a great tailor! (Our tailor Kim is generally regarded as the best in the city).
1. Don’t try and lose weight before shopping – Never try and postpone buying new clothes because you plan to lose weight. If you look great NOW, you’ll be more likely to accomplish ALL of your goals – weight loss included.